Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Enjoy Today With The Scraps Of Elegance August Kit~Mallika's Whimsy

Happy Wednesday everybody!!


Today, I have a layout to share with you that I created with the Scraps Of Elegance August Kit~Mallika's Whimsy that features a photo of my son Draven when he was little. My husband, David and I would grab some kites and Draven and head to the Chickamauga Dam for a fun day of picnics and kit flying!! Can you tell that Draven was into all things Sesame Street??! The color in the photo were primary colors so I toned them down in Photoshop so that I could use those gorgeous blues, lime greens and yellows in the kit.


I started with a bottom layer of kit paper, then sized down a 2nd layer that I distressed really heavily.



I then tore out some different layers from more of the papers, distressing, sewing, curling and layering them in and then adding on my sweet photo of Draven. 


I used a past kit stencil along with a Dina Wakley Palette Knife to apply Ranger Texture Paste really heavily for a gorgeous texture. 



I then created little kite embellishments out of some Tim Holtz frosted film from a past kit. I used small wooden dowels to create the cross beams on the backside of the kite. I loved that the frosted film allowed you to see the beams through the design just like a real kite. I created the pattern on the kite using another past kit stencil along with a Dina Wakley Palette Knife to apply Ranger Texture Paste and after it dried, I inked over the pattern with some Tim Holtz Tumbled Glass Distress Ink and Cat's Eye Lime Ink. I then added some of the Prima Crystals from this month's Elements Add On to add that yummy sparkle and even more texture. I then 


 I created the pattern on the kite using another past kit stencil along with a Dina Wakley Palette Knife to apply Ranger Texture Paste and after it dried, I inked over the pattern with some Tim Holtz Tumbled Glass Distress Ink and Cat's Eye Lime Ink. I then added some of the Prima Crystals from this month's Elements Add On to add that yummy sparkle and even more texture. I then created "kite string" from burlap strings and tied on little baker's twine bows (twine was from a past kit) for a final touch.

Next, I took a piece of the Blue Fern Frolic Chipboard from the kit, inked it with the lime ink, then sponge painted it with some Dina Wakley Gesso, cut it into pieces tucking 2 pieces under my layers and adding another piece to the side of my layout.


To house my "today" piece, I took a Tim Holtz Ornate Book Plate, sponge painted it with the gesso, hit it with a heat gun to set the paint on the metal, and then sponge painted it again with some lime Jaquard Paint and hit it with the heat gun againg. I then put in my sentiment and painted over it with 
Tim Holtz Rock Candy Crackle to get that cracked texture look I love.


I added flowers from this month's Floral Add On.


Made some paper rolls from scrap pieces of the kit paper, tying them with the baker's twine and adding those sweet little "wish" and "create" metal tags that were in the kit.


I added more FAO flowers and a large Prima "Enjoy" bulb piece from my stash.

Oh I miss those days of childhood bliss, but I love seeing my son now, all grown up and a reflection of the love that created and raised him. I hope he remembers all those fun days we spent playing as foundly as I do!! Here are to days filled with moments that make memories and days filled with creating memories of those moments. Hugs ~Renea







2 comments:

Kathy Bradley said...

Renea,
A beautiful layout! I love the textures you added and those kites are most wonderful! The picture of your little one is adorable - and I love his name - I have not heard that name before - very awesome.

Elizabeth said...

Awesome technique work Renea! Love all the details. Those kites are so awesome!