Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Altering A Hard Back Book Cover With The Scraps Of Elegance Pretty Things Kit


I love finding ways to take something old and making it new again! I am an avid reader and I still love the feel of a hard back book every once in a while. I have quite a few old books on my shelves and I love to take one out, rip it apart and turn it into something usable.
For this project, I used the Scraps Of Elegance October Kit~Pretty things and 1/2 of an old hard back book cover to create a beautiful, Vintage look piece that you can hang in a room, and on the back side  there is a pocket that houses some tags that you can use as book marks or to journal on or keep some of your FAV memories on.



I started with the book cover and layered on some of the gorgeous lace from the kit. I coated it with some fabric Stiffy so that when it hangs the lace doesn't lay down. I added layers of the kit paper, and started adding the details.




To add texture to the paper, I distressed the edges then inked them with some Tim Holtz Bundled Sage Ink, and painted the pages with some Prima Platinum Crackle Paste, after it dried, I misted the the paste with Tim Holtz Brushed Pewter Spray Stain to bring out the crackle.

Behind the photo I layered in canvas that I sprayed with some Prima Bloom Spray in Cotton Candy, and added a Vintage photo that I purchased from Digital Collage Sheets.



I added some Crochet Lace #004 from my Reneabouquets Etsy Shop and then layered on a sweet little bird that I fussy cut from the paper, a large flower from the Flower Add On and some stash flowers from past kits. I then tucked in a little Prima Oval Resin Frame and a set of my Shabby Pink Roses Dragonflies.



On the back side, I formed a pocket and then created pieces from the kit papers and Die Cuts that can be used as book marks or journaling tags.


Here are the double sided pieces untucked from the pocket.

I just love Pretty Things and the Scraps Of Elegance October Kit makes putting some really Pretty Things together such fun!!! I hope you get a chance to grab a kit, or some scrappy supplies and create some of your very own Pretty Things this week! Hugs ~Renea

Items from the Reneabouquets.com and Reneabouquets Etsy Shop:
























1 comment:

Tonya said...

Simply stunning Renea! Love the soft shabby chic feel of your altered piece!!! <3