Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Chasing Rabbits With The Scraps Of Elegance July Kit~



The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are"
We were certainly mad about Marion Smith Designs' Mad Tea Party collection, and just knew it would be perfect in one of our kits! We hope you will love it as much as we do...

I just love Alice In Wonderland, and when this Scraps Of Elegance Kit arrived at my door, I just knew I would be sliding down the Rabbit Hole with it!! The following is a Tim Holtz Configuration Book Box that I altered. I wanted to create something that was Shabby and Beautiful, but still had that whimsical "Alice" vibe to it:


I did lots of paper and book page tearing, distressing and inking  to form all the base layering. I then layered in some paper Doillies, fussy cut out the rabbit tag with the Alice Quote "If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense" and turned it into a tag with some hand dyed seam binding and a Radiance Rhinestone Pin Brooch from my Reneabouquets Etsy Shop.




I took some stash ruffled ribbon across the bottom and then added a flower from the kit and some roses from my stash. I then inked some of the little mushrooms in the Embellishment add on, adding some rhinestones to one of them. I added a clock curio knob and tied a Vintage look Metal key onto it with some more seam binding, and then popped on some of my hand crafted Water Lily Dragonflies from my Shop.


Here you can see all the paper layering and distress work that I did. The clock is fussy cut from some of the kit paper and tucked under tha layers. 




On the sides of the box I used a damask stencil and some textured modeling paste to create a gorgeous raised surface look. While the stencil was still on I dabbed it with a sponge and some pale pink acrylic paint to get the soft look.


I painted the back side with white acrylic, really letting my brush strokes show through and then stamped it with the Melissa Frances stamp in the embellishment add on.



I added a layer of paper to one side of the inside, but didn't embellish it so that the box would actually close. I wrapped the edges and taped the inside-sides of the little boxes with the decorative tape that was in the Embellishment Add on.  I then got to work with lots of little trinkets and fussy cut pieces from the kit papers.


Here is a close up shot so that you can see the details a little more closely. The "Alice" Butterfly is one that I completely designed, drew out and turned into a digital creation that I could then gussy up just for this kit. It is available in this month's kit or you can find it in my Reneabouquets Etsy Shop as well.

I hope you have enjoyed my first project wit the kit!! I enjoyed getting my "Mad" on for this project and can't wait to create some more with this amazing kit!
Hugs ~Renea


1 comment:

Bente Fagerberg said...

Totally stunning project Renea! I love the new altered look of the Tim Holtz Configuration Book Box. It's so feminine and has its own kind of whimsy elegance. That butterfly is gorgeous too! I just find myself hanging on to all my butterflies, when I should really force myself to use them and not save them for the perfect page etc. xx